Electrical Engineer, Operations
This job does not exist anymore.
Or fill in the form below to receive job alerts.
|Job Type||Direct Hire|
|Salary||0 Per Hour|
Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, with global offices in eight countries, our client owns or has an economic interest in 2.7 GW (net 2.3 GW) of operating generating capacity and a significant inventory of early stage development opportunities encompassing nearly 4.0 GW of potential capacity.
The Electrical Engineer (Operations) position supports the company's North American wind, solar, and thermal facility operations from the head office in Toronto. Working with the rest of the Operations Engineering team and facility personnel, this technical role provides power systems expertise to address a range of operational needs at operating facilities and contribute to broader organizational strategic objectives as outlined in the Key Accountabilities below.
Key Accountabilities• ??Support the resolution of technical issues at operating generation facilities (wind, solar, thermal) as needed;
• Provide needed support to ensure compliance with technical rules set by system operators and reliability authorities;
• Preparing and/or coordinating submissions to system operators and transmission operators, such as System Impact Assessments, Transmission Confirmation of Verification Evidence Reports, and similar as the need arises to support facility projects and other needs;
• Contribute to the development of best practices for maintenance and monitoring of medium- and high-voltage electrical equipment, participate in facility maintenance working groups, and assist facilities with maintenance planning and contingency planning where electrical expertise is required;
• Coordinating and reviewing electrical studies and reports for facilities as needed for on-going sustaining engineering and special upgrade and refurbishment projects;
• Provide technical support and project management to various operations upgrade/sustaining projects;
• Support Health, Safety, and Environment groups with technical issues as needed when electrical knowledge is required on Operational issues;
• Coordinate and communicate with third-party vendors/organizations/consultants to complete tasks related to the above Key Accountabilities as required;
• Build and maintain strong relationships with facility staff and support a collaborative team environment; this position is expected to take a role in developing the knowledge of others
• Contribute to development due diligence activities on an occasional and ad-hoc basis;
• Contribute to successful operations turn-over of newly constructed facilities as needed.
• Theoretical and practical understanding of power systems, demonstrated through experience (operations, maintenance, plant commissioning);
• Working knowledge of wind, solar, and thermal generation considered an asset;
• Working knowledge of electrical protection systems;
• Experience with the operation and maintenance of key high and medium voltage electrical equipment: transformers, breakers, IEDs, cable systems, etc.;
• Understanding of power system stability and grid reliability;
• Knowledge of electrical safety practices and standards;
• Knowledge of NERC guidelines, Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) Market Rules, NYISO rules, and/or SaskPower and/or Hydro Quebec’s Interconnection requirements a definite asset
Education, Experience, and Career Focus
The successful candidate will have strong knowledge of electrical power systems, a minimum of 5-10 years in electrical power generation, and a P.Eng. designation. Experience in an operations/maintenance environment and/or with plant commissioning is highly desirable.