Director, Internal Controls & Process Improvements
|Job Type||Direct Hire|
|Sector||Accounting and Finance|
|Salary||0 Per Hour|
Our client are advocates of change, on a mission to help transform the energy sector to become the foundation for a sustainable future.
Since their inception, they have been early movers in the energy industry, adopting new initiatives that pave the way for communities across the globe and helping forge their path towards a carbon-neutral landscape.
As developers, owners and operators who are at the forefront of the energy transition, our client is uniquely positioned to leave a lasting impact in the regions where they operate. Over the past few years, they have expanded their business across Canada, the United States, Latin America, Europe, and Asia to become a global leader, all by bringing together industry experts to find solutions with an entrepreneurial mindset.
The Director, Internal Controls and Process Improvement is an integral role with high visibility to our client’s business, working closely with accounting and finance, enterprise risk management, legal, human resources, development, operations, and other groups, with visibility to the executive leadership and audit committee. In this role, you lead a small but impactful team and manage external service providers performing internal controls work. You are a key contributor to the creation, enhancement, management and oversight of internal controls and you also have significant involvement in special projects and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Manage and advance/improve the quarterly CEO/CFO certification process; Lead and collaborate with external service provider for controls testing to support their testing programs.
• Ensure adequate financial policies and controls are established and shared, and training provided as necessary to employees.
• Coordinate with global control owners and review updates to the risk-control matrix to drive ongoing standardization of internal controls across the business and its investments.
• Partner with Finance leaders of newly acquired entities to develop, update or standardize business processes and controls as part of post-merger integrations.
• Collaborate with global functions or teams to help them establish or enhance business processes and controls.
• Serve as a subject matter expert on financial policies, business processes and National Instrument 52-109 (NI 52-109) controls for the global Finance teams; develop best practices across the organization.
• Collaborate with Enterprise Risk Management for greater effectiveness and alignment.
• Provide leadership and guidance to other members of the team.
• Act as partner to the business, perform ad hoc analysis, consultation, and other requests to support business activities and decisions.
• Lead Fraud Risk Assessment initiatives, including ongoing monitoring of identified fraud risks.
• Contribute to ongoing projects relating to Anti-Bribery and Corruption, in collaboration with Legal and Human Resources.
• Undertake special projects or initiatives at the direction of the CFO or VP Finance that require support in terms of documenting processes, improving controls, enhancing stewardship, etc.
• Support other Finance process improvements, projects, initiatives, assurance, and risk management matters, as required, to ensure the success of the broader organization.
- You adjust your thinking and behaviour to adapt to change, show resiliency, and manage your team through uncertainty. You enable and support others to deal with the impact of change and increased complexity. You communicate effectively and transparently to build understanding, commitment, and trust.
- You demonstrate initiative and an ongoing commitment to achieving company wide objectives. You take responsibility for actions and decisions, the quality of your work, and reinforce the organizational values.
- You build relationships easily, seek diverse perspectives, and encourage cross-functional sharing of information.
- You have exceptional oral and written communication skills and can articulate your analyses in a clear and concise manner.
- You use critical thinking to evaluate problems. You are never afraid of challenging the status quo if it leads to process improvement opportunities.
- You have proven ability to take initiative, organize, manage, and prioritize a high volume of projects simultaneously.
Qualifications and Experience
- You have a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience working in a finance, accounting, or audit role
- Experience with internal controls compliance and NI 52-109 certification as well as conducting internal audits.
- You have advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills, and can use formulas and graphs to interpret, analyze and present information in a compelling way
- You have experience working for a public company
- You have experience with AuditBoard or similar Controls Management solutions and Workday Finance or similar ERP solutions
- You speak Spanish